On 06/20/2018 06:33 AM, Lennart Poettering wrote:
On Di, 19.06.18 17:21, Christopher Cox (c...@endlessnow.com) wrote:

Not sure what happened, but on one of our CentOS 7 host we had like 64
socket connects owned by pid 1 (systemd) in CLOSE-WAIT state.  And systemctl
-a shows a bunch of lines like:

check_mk@11305-10.32.50.31:6556-10.32.3.10:55106.service  (corresponding to
the 64 CLOSE-WAIT connections)

I tried shutting down the socket and service and was able to get rid of the
CLOSE-WAIT sockets, however the entries in systemctl persist.  Is there
anyway to clear out those (they are now in  loaded failed failed
state).

What's the precise "systemctl status" output for a "check_mk@.service"
instance like this?

My educated guess is that these instances of this per-connection
service has failed, and is thus not GC'ed by systemd. It's generally
wise to use the "-" modifier in ExecStart= in services like this, so
that failures of the per-connection processes are
ignored. Alternatively, with more recent systemd versions you can also
set CollectMode=inactive-or-failed in the service's unit file, so that
the failure is recorded normally, but the unit is unloaded anyway on GC.

Lennart

The problem was they were "hung". In this case on a locked up "df" that will never return. Not sure if there's a solution for this case.