On Wednesday, April 8, 2020 3:35:08 AM EDT Pekka Paalanen wrote:
> On Tue, 07 Apr 2020 23:03:52 -0400
> nerdopolis <bluescreen_aven...@verizon.net> wrote:
>
> > On Friday, April 3, 2020 3:28:52 AM EDT Pekka Paalanen wrote:

> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > that is both an excellent and horrifying observation. And it makes
> > > perfect sense to me why that happens, just like you think: seat
> > > assignments happen in userspace as udev properties. Someone would have
> > > to explicitly tell the kernel about it too to fix this, e.g. remove
> > > non-seat0 devices from the VT machinery.
> > >
> > > I wonder if such kernel interface even exists?
> > >
> > > The reason why display servers do not cross their input streams like
> > > that is that display servers do not use the VT for input. But VT gets
> > > its input assigned directly inside the kernel.
> > >

> > > Thanks,
> > > pq
> > Hi
> >
> > I'm not sure, but I am not an expert there. haha. However, I am just
> > remembering as far as gpm goes,that one runs in userspace, as root so it's
> > also not obeying seats, but THAT part is not the fault of the kernel.
>
> Yeah, a program running as root can do whatever it chooses to. So that
> part is a GPM bug or lack of configuration, I don't know which.

yeah gpm appears to be old. some of the files not modified in 12 years, which
is older than logind I think. So forget I said anything about gpm. Sorry about
that.
> > Maybe a utility could be made like gpm that grabs the keyboard input, but
> > only
> > forwards the keys to the TTY, if the device is in seat0. But like, I am
> > guessing here, and I guess it would be a possibility for the hypothetical
> > utility to crash, and then all input would get sent to the TTY anyway.
>
> That would seem like strange architecture as the VT is implemented in
> the kernel, but you would route the input events through userspace.
>
> Instead of that, I'd promote CONFIG_VT=n and run something like kmscon
> to replace the VTs. I expect that to need effort to make work though,
> since I haven't heard anything from that direction in years. That is,
> disable the kernel VT sub-system completely, and use userspace programs
> to offer similar functionality while leveraging logind and other modern
> technologies.
>
> But if people want to keep CONFIG_VT=y, then I don't see any other way
> than telling the kernel which input devices belong with the VT and
> which do not. Perhaps logind should do that.

yeah, that is probably a ways out maybe, and systems that have an older card
that doesn't support mode-setting or a framebuffer will probably not have a way
to display a console without CONFIG_VT, right? Unless a generic KMS VESA driver
exists or something.

Maybe udev could set some new sysfs attribute on devices or something if they
are in seat0 or not. But I don't know how the vt subsystem works, if it can
even exclude a particular keyboard like that or not.
> > So I'm not sure, also should we change the name of the thread since I think
> > my
> > original question is answered now?
>
> Done. I hope this attracts more attention.

Thanks.