On Tue, Oct 13, 2020 at 10:06 AM Brian Hutchinson <b.hutch...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 13, 2020 at 9:16 AM Kevin P. Fleming <ke...@km6g.us> wrote:
>
>> While I can't comment on the specifics of configuring systemd-networkd
>> to use ports through DSA (although the linked GitHub issue shows that
>> it can be done), I really doubt you are going to be able to
>> successfully bond any group of such ports, because they all have the
>> same MAC address. In your proposed configuration, you have a NIC
>> connected to a switch (internal to your system), which would then have
>> multiple ports connected to *another* switch. Unless the switches
>> involved support STP or some other loop-avoidance mechanism, you will
>> get a switching loop in this configuration.
>>
>> Connecting multiple ports between two switches requires cooperation in
>> the switches (STP, or LACP, or something else).ds,
>>

> So a primer on DSA:
>
> https://docs.phyglos.org/kernel/networking/dsa/configuration.html
>
> You can make the switch ports act as individual network interfaces (called
> single port in that web link) that won't create switch loops.
>
> The pre-cursor to DSA that the OpenWRT guys use does the same thing.  It
> can bust a switch up into individual ports ... then you can do whatever you
> want with them.
>
> Regards,
>
> Brian

.. the reason I mentioned my switch going crazy is I could immediately tell
the /etc/systemd/network scripts were not setting up my switch DSA driver
to make lan1 and lan2 single ports (individual NIC's).  If I set up DSA
with the ip command line options in the original post, I don't get that
behavior (no crazy blinking switch lights) and the DSA part works.

So it's kind of two parts, how to get systemd to setup DSA interfaces as
single ports and then part two is making the bond.  I kind of have a
feeling the systemd bond examples in the links in OP would work if the DSA
ports were setup in single port mode correctly.

Regards,

Brian