On 16/08/21 5:39 pm, Lennart Poettering wrote:
On Mo, 16.08.21 17:31, Amish (anon.am...@gmail.com) wrote:

On 16/08/21 5:25 pm, Lennart Poettering wrote:
On Mo, 16.08.21 16:09, Amish (anon.am...@gmail.com) wrote:

Some old scripts that we have expect interface names starting with eth. But
those names are not predictable.

So to get predictable names starting with eth*, first I temporarily rename
all interface with tmpeth*. This is done via udev rules.

SUBSYSTEM=="net", ACTION=="add", ATTR{address}=="XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX",
NAME="tmpeth0"
SUBSYSTEM=="net", ACTION=="add", ATTR{address}=="XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:YY",
NAME="tmpeth1"
SUBSYSTEM=="net", ACTION=="add", ATTR{address}=="XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:ZZ",
NAME="tmpeth2"

Then I have a small service (script) which runs before network-pre.target to
convert these names back to eth*

#search for network interface with name starting from "tmpeth" and rename
them to "eth"
/usr/bin/find /sys/class/net -maxdepth 1 -name "tmpeth[0-9]" -type l -printf
"%f\n" | while read tmpiface; do /usr/bin/ip link set dev "$tmpiface" name
"$(echo $tmpiface | sed s/tmpeth/eth/)"; done

This ensures that I have predictable names starting with eth*. And it is
working fine from 2-3 years. Even with current issue, name assignment is
working fine.
This cannot work and is necesarily race. Stay out of the ethXYZ
namespace, that's the kernel's namespace. Pick any other names,
i.e. "foobar0", "foobar1", but otherwise you just have a racy racy
mess, because the kernel might take the name whenever it pleases.
No I dont think this is race. Because my script runs after Udev has finished
assigning the interfaces names.
device probing can take any time it wants. there isn't a point in time
where everything is probed.

These are internal PCI LAN cards. I believe these gets probed (and named) sufficiently early.

And then we can expect names assigned by Udev to remain same.

And I can see in the logs that names are not changed after my script runs.

Also this has been working successfully for me from 2 or more years.

But after today's update, something is breaking all the systems.

Additionally just now on other system I see eth2 (instead of eth1) being renamed to eth0.

I just want to know what changed and where? (Kernel or Systemd?).

*Also another point is, I have set ConfigureWithoutCarrier=yes in network files and all are static IPs, so systemd-networkd should have configured the devices even if links are not up. But its not doing that anymore either after today's update.*

Regards

Amish.

Lennart Poettering, Berlin