It is a call to systemd-mount done from initramfs. It ends up in
/run/systemd/transient and survives the root switch. The generated unit
contains Requires=systemd-fsck@....service.

Is the conflict on shutdown.target to make shutdown kill fsck if it is
running?

Generated systemd-cryptsetup@.service units have "DefaultDependencies=no"
and no conflict on shutdown. Maybe this is missing then. "cryptsetup
attach" might be running.