I might have the wrong race, but I believe promotional shots for the Chicago Marathon
some years ago
were staged because the ad agency refused to use the real race start photos because
most of the
runners at the start were looking and grabbing their wrists. The word went out that if
you wanted to
be in the ad, show up without your watch.