After I posted a list of vaulters who had met the world championship
standards in what I said was the qualifying period of 1 January 2003 and 10
August, Walt Murphy responded with,

>I'm sure Roger meant to write "...between 1 January 2002 and 13 August 2003"
>(Unless the IAAF has made some changes since publishing its "2003 Directory
>and Calendar")

Actually, what I meant to write was just what I did write. Unfortunately,
what I wrote was wrong and I appreciate Walt's correction and another,
off-list.

I had taken the qualifying period from a website that posted the IAAF
standards and gave the qualifying period as I copied it. It even continued
by saying that performances in 2002 would be considered only in exceptional
circumstances. I can only assume their 1 Jan 2003 beginning point for
consideration was one established by that national federation for its own
selection procedures.

In a sort of reflexive defense of my own mistake, though, I would note that
I had first searched for a statement of entry standards on the IAAF, USATF,
and AthCan websites, without success, before turning to Google as a more
general resource. There, if you should be interested, the search term
"world championships" locates 1,200,000 hits, "world athletics
championships" narrows it down to only 190,000, and "Paris world
championships" to a tidy 571. Looking at the first 125 of those today, I
finally found a second citation of the IAAF entry criteria, this time on
the New Zealand Athletics site, quoting the IAAF qualifying period as 1 Jan
02 to 23(!) July 03. So it goes.

I'm happy to learn, off-list, that someone with far better data resources
and computer skills than mine is contemplating pursuing qualifying lists in
all events. I'll be looking forward to seeing them.

Cheers