RT -

  I agree with everything you've said, but I'll tell you what the main
counter-argument to your last question is:

The majority of basketball and football programs are NOT revenue producing,
they are just called "revenue producing".  Most of the track programs we
have lost are from schools that lose money on football, so the argument
would be that football is where you cut.  I don't agree with that argument,
because it ignores reality, but it is the one I hear most often.

One thing I've also never heard a really good answer on is how to factor in
the NCAA TV money into the equation.  I do not know whether or how the
figures that have 70% of Div I football programs losing money include that
money, much of which is distributed to all the NCAA programs, not just the
winning ones.  I suspect it would be nearly impossible to accurately
allocate it in figuring out revenue, although I"m sure there are formulas
out there.

- Ed Parrot

RT wrote:
> I've been sitting on the sidelines on this one for a long time.
> Of course it does not require cutting of teams.
> But to meet the requirements (other than a meek "making progress" option
which the Justice Department indicated in the 90's it would deal with
harshly), the only other option is adding teams (women's teams of course).
And those teams are always non revenue-producing, at least they never bring
in more than they cost.
> Unless the university has a money printing press in their basement, the
only viable option to 'balance the books' is by both adding a few women's
teams AND subtracting a few men's teams (which is a compromise to a bean
counter's eyes).
> Tell me how else you can come into compliance, assuming that the overall
athletic department budget is "flat", and given that 'hitting'
revenue-producing sports would be counterproductive to the viability of
women's teams who depend on those funds, as well as men.