Weldon Johnson wrote:

<What? So you read an article saying that agents are giving drugs to
athletes and suddenly you are now suspicious of people in track and field
might be possibly using drugs. You had to be extremely naive to not think
there was a possibility that some of the top Africans were on the juice.
Maybe I'm a little closer to the scene but I've heard some what I believe
to be reliable reports of some prominent agents juicing they're African
runners.>

Weldon,

First I would like to thank you for your LetsRun site, it is excellent and
you are doing a lot for the sport by running it.  Also I would like to
congratulate you on you two sub 28:10 runs.

Actually, I am not the slight bit naïve on African distance runners drug
use.  I have been on this list since 1996 or so, and I began raising
questions about this way back then.  However, as Randy Treadway pointed
out, there was always an angry, vicious outrage against anyone who dared
to suggest the Kenyans would even consider using drugs.  Early in the
existence of this list, Garry Hill would point out how widespread drug use
was in our sport.  However, for business reasons he did an abrupt about
face and decided it was bad to talk about drugs.  Any talk of drugs and he
would immediately attack the person and do it with extreme vulgar language
including profanities on this list.  His new hire Dan Lilot dutifully
followed his leader and did the same.  So I stopped talking about it.  I
only bring it up again because since I raised my suspicions, several
African distance runners have been caught and now Kenyans are starting to
tell the truth as evidenced in the African Standard article.  If the
Kenyan federation is going to have a true inquiry into this as they state
such as the Canadians did with Ben Johnson, the lid could be blown off
this disgraceful scandal and it would be good for the sport in the long
run, despite what Garry Hill thinks.

Weldon also wrote:

<And why do you draw the line at Yobed Ondieki. Drugs have been in the
sport way before him. If you're going to suddenly go back and be
suspicious why start there?>

I did not arbitrarily pick Yobes Ondieki as you suspect.  Sure drugs have
been in our sport since the early 50s, but EPO did not become widespread
in cycling until about 1990.  Shortly thereafter I believe it invaded our
sport via an agent for the Kenyans who was a former cycling agent who got
banned from that sport for drugs.  Rapidly the use spread beyond this
agent.  You may have not been a big fan of the sport when Ondieki ran his
26:58 but I was.  At the time it was absolutely shocking and also
inexplicable.  He had been on the Pro circuit for years and was very good,
but he had done nothing to indicate he was capable of anything close to
this type of barrier shattering performance.  Even more surprising was his
rapid exodus from the sport despite being at the top so briefly.  Long
time fans were stunned.  Then suddenly everyone was running under 27.  I
am not saying he or anyone else specifically used drugs, but I started
calling everything I was seeing in the 90s distance avalanche starting
with Ondieki into question.

Paul Talbot wrote:

<How is this new or surprising?>

Of course it isn’t but it may be for all the people who savagely attacked
anyone who tried to say drugs may be involved in the Kenyan performances.
Anyone remember when John Manners told us all that the Kenyans were
morally incapbable?

B. Kunnath wrote in response to Weldon’s statement:

little closer to the scene but I've heard some what I believe to be
reliable reports of some prominent agents juicing they're African runners.

<This is the kind of utter crap Id expect to see on your message boards.
If you really DO have some news worth sharing, then surely this would be
the best site for it. so either put up or shut up. Im tired of listening
to this kind of crap about people "knowing", about drug taking but
choosing to keep it to themselves. Surely you're then guilty of hiding
these drug takers as well. Just exactly who are they, or better yet who
told you.>

See what I mean Weldon, people don’t even want to discuss the possibility
(laugh).  They just want every to believe all the great performances are
genuine.

Randy Treadway wrote:

>No one, myself included, thinks that every single African is clean
Why then, in years past, on this very list, any time questions were
brought up about the Africans, people who had spent time with them dashed
into the conversation like lightning to claim that cheating was simply
against the nature and motivation of the Africans they'd spent time with.

Where are those people now?  The silence is deafening.>

Not quite Randy, Bob Kunnath is still “dashing like lightening” to silence
free speech.

Gerry Woodward wrote:

<Your words, "This calls everything the Kenyans have done from Yobes
Ondieki's 26:58 onward..."  If that is not a scathing indictment of all
Kenyan runners, then I've never seen an indictment, and I'm not a Kenyan.>

Gerry, if you didn’t deliberately cut off the last part of my statement
which read that it calls into question, then you would realize I didn’t
indict all Kenyans.  As a thinking person with analytical mind, I cannot
ignore data.  The data is that drug testing is deeply flawed, there is
corruption in our sport, despite the huge holes in drug testing several
African distance runners have been caught, the biggest Kenyan agent was
banned from pro cycling for providing drugs to athletes, the performances
don’t make sense (I laughed while you guys cheered Boulami’s WR), Kenyan
runners are now saying drug use among Kenyans is widespread, etc.  Sorry,
but I cannot ignore the preponderance of this data.

Gerry also wrote:

<It is innuendos that always cause problems and tear our sport apart.  T&F
does not need a bunch of garbage being strewn about just prior to the
World Cup to further tarnish the sport's reputation.>

Gerry,

Drugs have already torn Pro track apart.  Fans have abandoned our sport in
droves, you just haven’t noticed.  We are ranked about the 40th most
popular sport, well below monster trucks.  Pro track is like the common
drug addict and the solution is the same.  The first step is admitting we
have a big problem.  Until we do that, the decline will continue.  Based
on many of the responses to the African Standard article, we can’t even
discuss it, let alone admit there is a huge problem.