>So why has interest in track declined?  Poor marketing, dope, the
dominance
>of the Africans, the rise of video games and the resultant slacker
>generation, the rise of youth soccer, the rise of NBA on TV, the NCAA
>scholarship limit, etc, etc.  Take your pick.

Add my favorite - the end of the cold war.

The nationalism of the American fan base was satisfied when they got to see
our "good guys" against their "bad guys" on a regular basis.  Now that
there really isn't any "bad guys" we consider ourselves to be in
competition with it's just not as big a deal anymore.

Phil