From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Behalf Of
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Friday, September 19, 2003 10:53 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: The Grid (was RE: t-and-f: major philosphy difference for the
sport)

Paul Talbot wrote:

>Another aspect of the "moral" debate is whether the individual or the
>collect group should decide what the individual may or may nor consume.

I'm not sure what the point here, is.  But I'll get to that later.

Maybe we need to start with a declaration - do you believe that high doses
of certain ergogenic aids (drugs, for short) can be harmful to an athlete's
health, or don't you?

Because we're ending up with something that's not a single spectra here -
it's more something like a grid:

                    No Harm
                       !
                       !
Individual_____________!_____________Sports
Responsibility         !         Responsibility
                       !
                       !
                    Harmful

Rate yourself somewhere along each axis, and graph the point.  I'm going to
end up in the lower right hand corner, assuming this is graphically
coherent once it goes through e-mail.  If you're closer to the upper left
hand corner, you're more likely to favor eliminating testing.

I've already, in my first post, given my reasons for believing athletes
will take drugs in harmful quantities if there is no regulatory deterrent.
Others have provided useful elaboration of this point.

In my first post, I also stated why I believe it is the responsibility of
the sport to do what it can to prevent this.  Allowing any athlete to take
drugs in harmful quantities means that to be competitive potentially all
athletes need to use in harmful quantities.  I consider it totally within
the rights of the IAAF or IOC or whoever to say "we will not intentionally
operate our sport in a way that tacitly requires athletes to take drugs in
harmful quantities to be competitive".

Getting back to Paul's point above - the individual still has rights under
this system.  He can choose to take drugs, and to compete outside of the
IAAF/IOC framework.  There is no moral imperative for the IAAF/IOC to
change their rules in order to allow an individual, or group of
individuals, the freedom to do something which the IAAF/IOC believes will
potentially increase the health risk to all athletes competing under their
umbrella.

I guess under this scenario, the only thing I would change about current
IAAF/IOC rules (if I understand them correctly) would be to allow their
tested athletes to compete against non-tested, or banned athletes, if they
desired without threat of sanction.

Now, if you believe the health risk to be non-existant then we really don't
have a basis for discussion.  If you believe that drugs can harm or kill
athletes, but that's a choice best left to the athletes, we can probably
have a discussion, but we'll probably still end up in different places at
the end of the day.

 Phil