RC's right I got the inhale /exhale % backwards.
The comment about oxygen in cells is about how muscles cells have no way to
deal with extra free oxygen. They can't store it so they would have to use
up chemicals to tie it up. Isn't that why it goes back to the lung?
But I wonder at what point does breathing more oxygen become a bad thing?
Could the practice of breathing oxygen be worse than useless but actually
harmful? I don't know. Too much of a good thing?  Do your lungs get rusty?

Tom

Actually, it is the other way around.  In the lab, we'll see expired O2
levels at VO2max in highly trained runners as low as 3-4%.

>The limit to our
> performance is not the amount of oxygen available at normal pressure, but
> the ability of our cells to use it.

While this has been debated for many years in excercise physiology, it
appears that oxygen delivery is (arguably) more of a limiting factor that
oxygen utilization.  That's why blood doping and EPO work.  The more O2 we
can deliver to the muscles, the higher the VO2. AT altitude, less O2 is
delivered to the muscles and VO2 and performance is impaired.

>Our bodies have to play an delicate
> dance to supply us with only the amount of oxygen we can use and no extra
> because that would float around in the cells reacting and raising
metabolic
> havoc.

I'm sorry Tom, but that's pretty silly.  When the O2 gets to the muscles, if
there's no pressure gradient for it to diffuse out of the blood into the
muscle, it simply travels back in the blood to the lung.  No havoc there.

To get back to the original question with supplemental O2 during recovery
for football guys at Mile High stadium.....physiologically, it pretty much
does nothing to aid recovery.  Psychologically, if the players think it
helps recovery, then it is an aid.

Physiologically, when the blood leaves the lung in our football player (on
the sidelines at rest), about 95-97% of the binding sites on the hemoglobin
have an O2 attached to it - even at 5200ft.  By breathing 100% O2, we
increase the amount of O2 bound to Hb and dissolved O2 only incrementally.

In terms of recovery, it does ---- basically nothing for the individual,
physiologically.

If the athlete were wearing an O2 mask during exercise at 5k ft, that would
be a different story.

RC (PhD and sometimes bfd.... like O'Malley)