Michael Contopoulos wrote:

>> For all those who will love to write this off as if Lagat is a saint and
he
>> never did anything wrong... isn't it just as likely the negative result
is
>> wrong as the positive result is wrong? In the eyes of our sport, he is
>> free. In my eyes, he either tested positive for something and then got
off
>> on a bad B' test, or, he was unjustly accused after a bad 'A' test and
was
>> vindicated with the 'B' test. In no way, in my mind, is he clean based
on
>> the B sample.

"Martin J. Dixon" chimed in:
>The key will be how vigorously he pursues his claim for damages. I was
thinking
>the same thing. He is not guilty. He isn't necessarily innocent. If he
pursues
>some people civilly where the burden of proof is less, that will be an
>indication that he in actual fact thinks he is innocent not just not
guilty. If
>he doesn't...

OK, while I was on the "Lagat shows the Kenyans aren't pure" bandwagon,
this way lies insanity.

A negative test on a B is the same as a negative test on an A.  If you had
a positive B, but a negative A, you'd never hear about it, because the B
would never be analyzed.

In essence, the dual samples is to ensure that an innocent athlete isn't
sanctioned.  If the B comes up negative - you can have all the opinions you
want, but they're no more valid than any opinion you may have about any
athlete without any proof.  These methods - and especially the method for
EPO - can really push analytical boundaries.  Placing Lagat in some "not
guilty not innocent" limbo is now no more valid than watching a guy run
fast and concluding "he must be juiced".  A negative B means innocent.

Phil