The problem with steroids is that they carry a hefty federal penalty and that they have been the most tested for and analyzed drug of all time. If the testers have caught up to the users with any drug it would likely be steroids. It's still the most used drug in professional sports and only an idiot would get caught. The problem is that the penalty for being caught with steroids is more than just a 2 year ban as it is a federal offense.

Alan

From: Richard McCann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "alan tobin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
CC: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: t-and-f: The Study was a 1995 poll
Date: Thu, 09 Oct 2003 09:40:57 -0700
Sender: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

The stagnation of men's throwing marks since the mid 1980s runs counter to that argument. That's why I included them in the discussion. The men's shot WR stands from 1990, and the last burst of records was in 1987, the HT WR is from 1986 and no top 10 since 1988, the DT from 1986 and before that in 1978, and other Keshmiri's doubtful 1992 performances, the only others in the top 10 since 1982 are 20 ft behind the WR.

The greatest benefits of steroids accrues to women in general, and strength-based events in particular. Those are the two categories that have stagnated since increased drug testing. Perhaps the causality is spurious, but I think we need a counter hypothesis that is testable to refute that point.

RMc