"White has admitted that the urine sample she gave at the US Championships in Palo
Alto, California, in June has revealed traces of modafinil - the same drug that was
discovered in the sample taken two months later after her 100 metres triumph in
Paris. The American claims the drug was prescribed for an hereditary sleeping
disorder but admits she failed to notify the anti-doping authorities in advance
because she had no idea it was a banned drug."

http://www.sport.telegraph.co.uk/sport/main.jhtml?xml=/sport/2003/10/19/soathl19.xml&sSheet=/sport/2003/10/19/ixsport.html

In answer to Steve's post, Bailey was asked if it was a masking agent at the time
and he ducked and weaved after he was asked and said possibly. The first line of
defence was narcolepsy. Phillips ruined that. The second line of defence was the 6
hour time zone change that was helped by the heretofore not banned substance. I
don't know what the new defence will be given the positives at Nats but looking
forward to it with amused anticipation.