Right about the different committees. The men's and women's committees can pay money,
not pay money,
or do what they want with it. I am holding the 1996 USATF Marathon Media Guide
(Shooting Star Media
- thanks Larry Eder.)

For the 1996 U.S. Trials, the women were paid 20 deep, $45,000, 40,000, 35,000, 18,000
down to
$1,000. Total purse: $250,000 Note: $3500 was 15th and $2500 was 16th.

Below the prize list: "The ultimate prize for the first three runners is the honor of
representing
the United States during the 1996 Summer Olympics in Atlanta. These three women will
be the first
track and field athletes to be selected for the U.S. Olympic team."

The men paid out to 15th: $100,000, $40,000, 30,000, 20,000, down to $1,000 for a
total purse of
$250,000. The 100K was listed as the largest payday ever for first, excluding time
bonuses, etc. If
I recall correctly, the big hit on first and the nice purse was an attempt to get
fast, hungry
people out for the marathon, plus the Olympics were on American soil. Note: 10th:
$4000; 11th:
$3000; 12th: $2500.