http://www.bouldernews.com/bdc/other_sports/article/0,1713,BDC_2416_2777454,00.html

Top-3 finish Saturday would put Boulder runner in Games for fourth time

By Michael Sandrock, For the Camera
April 2, 2004

Last Sunday, Colleen De Reuck was out for one of her final training runs before
Saturday's U.S. women's Olympic Trials Marathon in St. Louis. She was accompanied by
her daughter, Tasmin, who rode her bicycle alongside her mom. When Tasmin got tired
after 55 minutes, De Reuck ran back to their house, got Tasmin settled, and then went
into her basement to run another 15 minutes on the treadmill.

Such is the life of De Reuck, one of the top U.S. distance runners for whom family
comes first. On Saturday, the 39-year-old will be going for a spot on her fourth
Olympic team when she runs the Olympic trials marathon against a field that includes
U.S. record holder and three-time Bolder Boulder champ Deena Kastor. The top three
finishers will advance to the Olympics, assuming they've met the Olympic A standard of
2:37.

The race, part of the Spirit of St. Louis Marathon and Family Fitness Weekend, starts
at Washington University's Francis Field, with the runners following a criterium
course in Forest Park. A purse of $250,000 is up for grabs.

Other locals competing among the 132 qualifiers include De Reuck's sometime training
partner, Katie Blackett; former NCAA 10,000-meter champ Patty Murray; Tanya Poel; and
Nicole Kulikov and Nikole Johns, residents of Fort Collins who train in Boulder with
their coach, 1992 Olympic marathon bronze medalist Lorraine Moller.

"Everything has gone well and according to schedule," De Reuck said. "Training has
gone better than before Chicago (last fall, when she clocked 2:28:01). I am just a
little apprehensive and nervous right now, that's all."

Part of the reason for De Reuck's nervousness is her desire to don a U.S. singlet in
Athens this summer. De Reuck, who has a marathon best of 2:26:35, competed in three
Olympic Games for her native South Africa before becoming a U.S. citizen in December
2000.

"I am quite motivated and focused for this because I am living here, and we have made
the United States our home," said De Reuck. "Just to be part of the trials is
important. It is a great experience and honor to be running; I never thought I would
be doing this."

De Reuck is running very well as she nears her 40th birthday. She won all three races
she competed in this year: the Halliburton half marathon in January, the U.S. 8K cross
country championships in February, and the Gate River Run 15K last month.

"In that first race Colleen was just going to test her fitness, and she ran 70:55,
which is fast for the middle of January," said her husband and coach, Darren, head of
the Boulder Striders training club. "The workouts indicate she is in better shape and
stronger than last fall."

Kim Gillard, a top Australian runner living in Boulder, agreed. Last week, he and De
Reuck did a workout of 7 x 2 minutes, 40 seconds on the road. "Colleen is the fittest
I've seen her her," said Gillard. "She won the 15K in Jacksonville so easily. The key
to her running is her strength. If she doesn't beat Deena in St. Louis, she should
give her a battle."

Darren De Reuck said he expects a large group of women to be up front with Kastor in
the early going. He is hoping for an "honest" halfway split of 74:30, which should be
fast enough to whittle the lead pack down to a half-dozen runners or so.

"Colleen is going to run her own race," said Darren De Reuck. "When you are strong and
running your race, you just go, like Joanie (Benoit) did in 1984 (when she won the
inaugural women's Olympic marathon), or like Frank (Shorter) did (when he won the 1972
Olympic gold medal). She won't make a move until after halfway, if she needs to."

Said Colleen De Reuck: "Obviously, Deena has a 2:21 best and is out there by herself.
I am going to play it by ear. The race starts at 20 miles; after that, I am going to
run how I feel. I don't know how others are planning on running. I don't think anyone
is going to start too fast, especially since the 'A' standard was moved to 2:37 and
more girls have made that time. I hope my experience will carry me through. I felt
good at Jacksonville, very comfortable, and that helps my confidence. But you still
have to respect the marathon."

De Reuck, former world record holder on the roads for 10 miles (51:16) and 20K
(1:05:11) ran the St. Louis course last year, placing second in the U.S national
championships. She had a tough experience, however. A cold front came in the day
before the race, and De Reuck could not stay warm. By the end of the marathon her body
temperature had dropped to 86 degrees, and she was taken to the hospital afterward.

The weather is expected to be better on Saturday, and De Reuck traveled to St. Louis
Thursday with the support of her family and her friends. Before she left, the Running
Republic of Boulder, another club which Darren heads up, gave her a card reading "Good
luck Colleen on the road to Athens through St. Louis."

And even if she does not come in the top three Saturday, De Reuck will come home to
her daughter, her long-time Boulder home and her husband. "Colleen is totally devoted
to her family," said Gillard. "She is a mother and her family comes first. That is the
secret to her success."

-ENDS-

"I like the dreams of the future better than the history of the past."
Patrick Henry

Sign up for a 6mb FREE email from
http://www.spl.at
Join the buzz, chat with us!