In a message dated 8/3/2000 6:09:50 AM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

<< Your personal views on society should not cloud your judgement. The
sentence
above is exactly right - up close and personal is what Mr and Mrs Average
identify with. You can like it or not, but NBC have little choice but to
reflect this change in people's demands.

> present t&f as a sporting event with knowledgable commentators
> (and by the way, Dwight is one of the best) and maybe more than just us
> "crazy distance lunatics" will watch.

That's no guarantee at all. You are being blinkered by your own passion. The
US already has four major pro sports (five if you count Nascar or Cart).
There is no room for another. Other sports have to eat the scraps, ie be
targeted at alternative demographics, since the main sports demographic (men
aged 15-45) is saturated, in terms of both interest among them and available
airtime to target them. The alternative demographics don't want stats and
facts, they want people, drama, up-close-and-personal.

That's not to say that coverage could not be improved. Poor commentating,
lack of knowledge and repetitive cliches are always wrong. But the attacks
on Dwight and NBC have been cluster bomb in style rather than sniper.
Constructive criticism allied to suggestions are always welcome, but there
has been none of that, just blazing away with some extraordinarily naive and
personally insulting stuff. That's why I felt the need to go in so heavy.

Justin,
Thanks for setting me straight. I realize now that I can't see this issue
clearly through my passion without first having a degree in Advertising
(Note: that was a joke).
Anyway, I'm kinda tired of stating the obvious again so if you want to you
can beat us all over the head with demographics, how demand can be generated,
packaging, blah blah blah.....
Show the sport. Leave the BS to Regis and Whoever-Lee. Ok?

Regards,
JT