Y ask Y:

A source has informed me of a possible cheating case in the masters ranks. A former
world-class Kenyan runner named Andrew Masai won the masters division of the Beach to
Beacon 10K in Cape Elizabeth, ME, on August 5, 2000.

See results at:

http://www.coolrunning.com/results/00/me/Aug5_Beacht_set3.html

But many references, including Peter Matthews' Athletics 1996 reference book, give
Masai's DOB as December 13, 1960 -- making him 39 for the Maine race. Masters men are
40 and over.

A Web search also shows Masai winning the masters division of the Utica (N.Y.)
Boilermaker Road Race in a record 44:56 this past July.

I realize that Kenyans often don't have a good fix on their actual birthdates, but
given the unanimity of various respected sources on Masai's DOB, I'm wondering if
perhaps some prize money has been awarded in error -- cheating others of their
rightful awards.

Ken Stone
http://www.masterstrack.com