The system, like democracy, is a terrible form, but all the others are so
much worse. For example: How would who decide which, "UNCONNECTED WITH
ATHLETIC PERFORMANCE" problem is more of a problem if two or more matched
athletes cannot compete in the trials? The relief I can see is from above.
If the next level, the Olympic Games, wants to invite a medalist or record
holder the "meet director" should do so even if a country gets more than
three in an event. Let the Olympics take them rather than the US sent them.
The objective here is not fairness but having the Olympics be the best track
meet.
Tom Derderian, Greater Boston Track Club
 All that is