Title: Re: t-and-f: U.S. TV crticism--1976 style
Nah, that was Ron Addison who in 1980 broke his collarbone in his dive to the finish falling just short with a 4th place finish. To add insult to injury, the damn "Redcoats" disqualified him for desperately whacking on John Gregorek in a futile attempt to hang onto third.

Ahh, an image of Roche with his arm in a sling keeps appearing to me, too,  from somewhere in the deep recesses in my cerebral cortex. Or was that Addison? Or both?

It's time to defrag my hippocampus.

malmo

 "The steeplecahse final was a story in itself. The race was run while ABC was on "live" but the jerks who decide what goes on that show missed the most dramatic incident of the entire trials. (Mike) Roche was in a battle with Bob Timm for the third qualifying spot. Just as Mike went to pass on the final hurdle, he tripped and fell to his kness. Dazed, his knee hurt, he still took off in a frantic drive that caught Timm at the tape in 8:32.70."

I think Mike broke his arm in that fall.  Or is that my mangled memory again? I was standing there watching,  I think? Did he?
Tom D.