At 12:41 PM 8/30/2000 -0400, Dan Lilot wrote:
>There has been some discussion as to whether Felix Limo, listed as
>finishing second in the Brussels 10K, had actually been lapped....He was
>definitely not lapped....

It was certainly confusing to the two track nuts and ESPN viewers in this
household!  I hate to criticize Larry Rawson, but during the last lap
Tergat was passed with about 190 m to go, at 26:36 on the clock.  Larry and
Lewis were rambling on about some junk, with no mention of the
pass.  Tergat seemed not to be worried and did not respond, so we figured
that this guy (No. 393) was a lapped runner.

Tergat repassed the guy on the home straight, with 26:59 on the clock.  Mr.
393 crossed the finish line about 0.6 seconds behind Tergat, but apparently
stopped, as he did not continue around the track after Tergat
finished.  No. 393 was also seen stopping his wristwatch as he crossed the
line.  We then wondered, "Was that guy on the lead lap?  Did the announcers
fail to mention a battle for the lead during the last 200 m?"  When the
first three finishers were posted on the screen, the results showed Limo
0.67 seconds behind Tergat, almost exactly the margin between Tergat and
No. 393.

Until today's postings, we thought that Limo was No. 393, in second place,
because no one else was visible on the TV screen within a second of Tergat
on the home stretch.  Replaying the video cassette, though, shows that Limo
wore No. 29.  He must have finished very closely behind No. 393, though,
who apparently *was* lapped but didn't know it.

Charley Shaffer
Hating TV coverage of T&F but watching it all (D W I G H T was right--we
fanatics will watch anything)