-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On Behalf Of Michael Rohl
Sent: Friday, September 22, 2000 11:24 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]; Track Posts
Subject: t-and-f: what happened in the walks

Netters

Despite my growing frustration with having to seemingly defend
daily an event that has been in the Olympics since 1908, I will
continue to try to provide intelligent, explanatory information about
what has been happening or did happen in the walks.  For those
who like my posts read on.  For those who don't mostly young
Americans - try to be less provincial - there are Europeans on this
list who do care. And please if you want to bash the walks send a
message to [EMAIL PROTECTED] I guarantee if you want a
response you will get one there.

By now you all heard that Bernardo Segura was DQed after the race.
 He was dqed for loss of contact and it appears he got his third and
final call going down hill into the stadium.  At no point did the man
"break into a run."  I said before the race, anyone making a big move
then would have to have outstanding technique.  Segura does not
always have the best thechnique.  So how did this happen and who
is to blame?  Segura.  he took a chance - he knew going into the
stadium he had two reds.  But he went for the Gold - guess it was
win or nothing for him, after all he has been world cup champ,
world record holder, and Olympic Bronze medalist.  Of course
afterwards there is the usual rukus about it all, but in the end it is
nothing new to the sport.  There are always DQ's and that is part of
what the event is about.

Now how about those picks of mine?  It was more then a gut feeling
to pick Robert K.  I was sure he would win and Jefferson 4th.  I got
the wrong Russian. WHat happened to the guy I picked for second -
he made a rookie mistake - he started to push to early in the race.
When RK went for it at 14k he should have either just followed or
waited but instead he was stride for stride fighting the whole way.

Walking is a lot about rythm and setting a pace which is just about
the same effort, in regards to stride rate and heart rate that a 10k
runner puts out - only for 50 more minutes.  A guy who can walk
1:18 can get himself into a whole lot of trouble by coming through in
39:30 and then dropping in a series of 3:50 km surges.  If you don't
think that's going to spike the lactate and put the world of hurt on a
guy then you haven't seen it happen.  Same  thing with the
German,  Erm.  except his was trying to lead to early.  RK is old and
tuff and ultimately an even better 50k walker so he can do things
like set an early pace and surge away with just under 30 minutes to
go in a race.

Since I mentioned it, RK is in the 50k as well and I have felt all year
he will win that too.  IF he does I am afraid that what maybe the
one of the three greatest track and field doubles will go largely
unnoticed on the list.  IF he does he should be a lock for AOY but
not in this world

I completely missed the Mexicans - don't know where they were
hiding all year.

Already mentioned what happened to Tim.

Also past power houses, Spain, Italy, France, and to some extent the
Russians and Other Russian Republics all down a bit.  I have my
thoughts as to why but need not express them here.  Aussies had a
fine team showing.

Good Training,
  Michael Rohl