A real answer from the president of NBC (Dwight's boss)

Question: A lot of viewers and critics think your profiles are too mawkish.

Eberdol: That’s a very valid criticism of what we did in Atlanta. But we’ve
taken diseases like asthma and [stopped treating] them as life-threatening.
So you basically have to have gone through a real life-threatening
experience for your health to become part of a feature anymore. Way too many
in Atlanta were about medium diseases that seemed repetitive. We went out of
our way to substantially upgrade the disease, the injuries, the
life-threatening moments that qualify.

More on NBC, Ebersol and the smarmy Bob Costas:
http://www.msnbc.com/news/466274.asp#BODY