On 3 Oct 2000, Jay Ulfelder wrote:
> Why has the U.S. become so weak in this event? I think it's especially
> surprising on the men's side, where our total domination of the 400m
> suggests that we should be able to find a few guys who could move up
> to the new-style, "long sprint" version of the 800 with success. (I
> still wish we'd had a chance to see MJ seriously attempt it, even just
> once.)

I think one of the reasons the U.S. is weak is that in the United States
the event is dominated by these 400-800 types.  Very few athletes who
approach the 800 from the sprint side ever reach world class.  Some do,
and some reach the top such as Jauntorena, but the vast majority of world
class 800m runners have approached the event through distance training.
Other than Kenah who has a sub 1:44 and WC medal to his credit, how many
of the U.S. 800m guys are hitting base weeks in the 80-100 miles a week
range?  Not too many.  If you had to pick one country to get 800m runners
from, history shows that your best bet is Kenya.  This should tell us
something.

We have had this debate several times before on this list (the 400/800
runner vs the 800/1500 runner) and it's always great fun, at least for
those of us who love the 800.  I've always looked to Coe as the best
example of how to make an 800m runner.  Take a successful 1500/3000 guy
and seriously incorporate work into that distance schedule to lower his
400m time (in Coe's case from 50s to 46s) while maintaining your distance
ability.  Obviously not every distance guy can knock 3-4 seconds off his
400m PR, but it is amazing to me how few improve it.  So many milers leave
college without having improved their 400m times.  If a lot of these
milers balanced their programs a little I think we'd find a new crop of
800/1500m guys with the potential for sub 1:45 or better.

There will always be great 400/800m types, but only a few of them will be
champions.

Now flame away (so and so is a 400/800 guy.....),

Paul

Paul Talbot
Department of Geography/
Institute of Behavioral Science