John Smith once allegedly made the comment that US Atlanta Olympic sprinter Jeff Williams could have been the "next big thing" in the 400M.

If he was prepared to put in the work and suffer the pain.

Tony Craddock

At 12:10 PM 10/3/00 -0700, Conway wrote:
> In a message dated 00-10-01 16:32:27 EDT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
>
> << A comment by MJ after the long relay is revealing-
>  she said something to the effect that she will never
>  train seriously for the 400m, such as to go after the
>  WR, because she doesn't like the way her body feels
>  after a 400 race.
>  In other words (my own summation) she feels 'comfortable'
>  after a 100m or 200m, but 'uncomfortable' after a 400m.
>
>  No kidding!
>
>  I know to this distance-running-centric list, her comment
>  will sound like:
>  a) laziness
>  b) wimpy
>  c) no heart
>
>  I'm not sure what the answer is.
>   >>
> To be fair to MJ, I heard Gwen Torrence say the same thing about the 400m.
> Bottom line, the 400m is a race that "hurts".
>

> Larry A. Morgan

No sprinter that can be successful at 100 and 200 wants to "seriously" run
the 400 .. Why ?? If you can be successful and not hurt why hurt to be
successful ?? Just common sense .. Historically there have been many
sprinters, male and female, who would've been very good at 400 .. But they
were good at 100 & 200 so why bother .. I will probably get a lot of
arguments but the 400 & 800 are probably the toughest events on the track ..
So if you can be successful somewhere else why bother .. The gains that
there have been in the women's 400 have been by athletes who have "moved up"
to it either through lack of success at the shorter sprints - like Freeman
or Perec .. Or moved up through age as they got on in their careers -
Szewinska, Cheeseborough, Brisco .. Or from countries that targeted talent
and made it run the 400 - Koch, Kratochvilova, Kocembova, Bush .. But
something other than just saying I can be good here made them do it .. I
would be willing to bet that if MJ (Michael) had had an opportunity to be a
9.8x man in addition to the 200 that he might never have run the 400 either
.. It's just not typically the race of choice ..

Conway Hill