Wasn't he the outfielder with the Angels that went up the cyclone fence in the outfield to catch a fly ball, caught his cleats in the fence, and suffered a hideous career-ending fracture of his lower leg?

Or am I thinking of someone else?

Tony Craddock

At 08:48 AM 10/5/00 -0400, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

In a message dated 10/4/00 7:54:09 PM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

>   Our best stories of transfer are of a HS baseball player at Fair Lawn
>who ran only one race in HS and another at South Side HS, Newark, who ran
>perhaps three or four.

The Rippowam (Satmford CT) school record for the indoor 50 yd. is still held
by NY Mets manager Bobby Valentine, set while winning the state title back in
the late 60s/early 70s. Valentine did  4 sports (FB, basketball & indoor
track, and obvioulsy baseball) and was all-state in 3 of them. He was in fact
offered a scholarship to USC as a running back, but chose baseball instead,
and the rest, as they say, is history. Would have been interesting if he had
opted for USC, he could have been another OJ (FB/track star, that is, not
suspected killer).

Jim Gerweck
Running Times