-----Original Message-----
From: Michael Rohl <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: Eckmann, Drew <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; [EMAIL PROTECTED]
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; ed prytherch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Saturday, October 07, 2000 11:25 PM
Subject: Re: t-and-f: AOY Voting starts now

Netters

Acknowledging Drew's points that unfortunately many don't
consider the walks a track event.  I do believe it is to bad because
the achievement was really quite remarkable.  One point  to
remember no one else double medalist in individual events.  And
who has done anything really outstanding other then say Jan? Well
in myheart he is AOY and Jane Saville should be the sports woman
of the year because she of all is the one athlete I would point out to
my children and say this is how you act when something bad
happens.

But Ed Prytherch wrote:
> AOY should go to Jan Zelezny, the greatest javelin thrower of all time.
> Third gold in a row, plus a silver in '88. He HAD to break the Olympic
> record to win because Steve Backley had broken it in the previous round.

Sure Ed he did.  But Robert ALSO had to break the Olympic Record
because two others did.  And Jan isn't the first to defend the javelin
nor is he the first to defend in a throws event.   Robert was the first
to defend the 50k ever.   Jan is great and I was amazed by his throw.
But wether you like the walks or not most on this list really have no
idea what this guy did or how well he did it.
Good Training,
  Michael Rohl