Privalova plans switch to 800 metres
              Reuters

              12 October 2000 – Moscow - Russia's Irina Privalova said
on
              Thursday she planned to switch to the 800 metres, just
three
              weeks after winning the Olympic 400 metres hurdles title.

 "After watching me in the 400 final, my coach said it was only a
miracle that with my
 hurdling technique I didn't trip over one of the hurdles and fall
over," Privalova told
 Reuters.

 "Coach (Vladimir Parashchyuk) suggested that was enough and I should
not push
 my luck any further, so from now on I'mplanning to switch to the 800
metres for the
 next few years."

 The switch is remarkable as Privalova started as a sprinter, and is a
former 100 and
 200 metres world and European champion.

 She turned to the 400 metres hurdles last winter and surprised
everyone, including
 herself, by taking the Olympic gold in just her eighth race over the
distance.

 The Russian took a full second off her personal best to win the final
in 53.02
 seconds, beating a strong field including defending champion Deon
Hemmings of
 Jamaica.

 "As you get older, it gets more and more difficult to prepare yourself
for shorter
 distances as they require a lot more strenuous training, lifting
weights and so on,"
 said Privalova. "By switching to the 800 I can prolong my athletic
career."

 The 31-year-old said she plans to take a winter season off and resume
competition
 next spring. She also joked there was no limit to her ability to run
even longer races.

 "Maybe by the time I reach 40 I can run a marathon," she said. "But
definitely, I'm
 planning to stay in sports at least until the 2004 Athens Olympics."