> << Lesson to be learned.  Don't be afraid to lose.  When all you can
>  think of is first place then often you lose the ability to place highly
>  (ie a Silver or Bronze or a 5th place)  which are all better then falling
>  down or finishing lower because you made some other mistake. >>
>
> No one could have stated this point any better.  That bronze sure would
have
> looked nice on the neck of Suzy, the same way those bronzes looked good on
> the 4x100m.  Falling deprived the world, not to mention Suzy herself.

I have rarely read anything on this list that I disagree with more.  I
respect others' opinions, but as far as I'm concerned "going for it" is the
most noble and marvelous thing anyone could do in an Olympic final.  I have
no idea (nor does anyone else except Suzy) whether that's what Suzy did, but
to chastise her for not playing it conservative to get a medal is against
everything I have ever been taught about the sport.

I'm not saying she used the right tactics, just that if she was going for
the gold and damn the consequences that I would have MORE respect for her,
not less.

I'm glad Billy Mills didn't settle for a bronze.

- Ed Parrot