Hi All

I saw this performance in the highlights show the BBC is broadcasting each
day. I was absolutely awestruck.

For those who, like me, are unaware of advances in medical science, these
guys and women are amputees and run using a prosthetic limb which is hard to
describe but is a flat, curved piece of springy material onto which a shoe
can be fitted. I'd seen them before used by a catwalk model with no legs - I
had no idea these limbs were used in sport. The leg effectively stores
energy when pressed to the ground and releases it through simply springing
back to regain its shape. I assume that each leg is unique, dependent on the
strength of the individual.

Watching the athletes run is amazing - from the waist up, you really can't
tell that this is not a two legged runner. There is a slight gait change -
the drive from the good leg looks different to that from the replacement leg
- but Marlon Shirley was sure able to jump around when he won! This was a
very powerful and composed piece of sprinting. I have to write it again just
so I believe it - this guy ran 11.09 with a false leg! As part of the
build-up we were shown a 200m runner with two of these false legs, plus his
arms amputated above the elbow, running around 24 seconds!

One thing which has been very obvious to me watching the Paralympics is that
we are now seeing disabled athletes competing rather than athletic disabled
people. A fine line perhaps, but it is clear that some of the competitors
have athletic ability which, but for luck, may well have shown itself at a
high level in the able bodied sports world.

Of course, while admiring the athletic ability it is impossible not to be
humbled by the event. The joy in competing, the triumph over adversities
most of us can only have nightmares about, the goodwill of the competitors
and the substantial crowds (credit to you again, Sydney) are awe-inspiring.
The commitment and drive required to run fast is always impressive - when
the body you are working with has one arm, suffers cerebral palsy, is
paralysed down one side or confines you to a wheelchair, well that's a whole
different league to me.

I've always been one of those who (perhaps rather patronisingly) thought the
Paralympics was great but didn't pay much attention. Thanks to daily
coverage from the BBC - who cover it exactly as they do any other sports
event - I'm a complete convert. Just fantastic.

11.09, with a false leg............wow.

Justin

> ----------

If you are not the addressee indicated in the message (or responsible
for the delivery of the message to such person), you may not copy
or deliver this message to anyone.

In such case, you should destroy this message and kindly notify the
sender by reply Email. Please advise immediately if you or your employer
does not consent to Internet Email for messages of this kind.

relate to the official business of Abbott Mead Vickers BBDO Ltd or its
Group/Associated Companies shall be understood as neither given nor
endorsed by them.

Abbott Mead Vickers.BBDO Limited.
Registered in England.
Registered Number 1935786.
Registered Office 151 Marylebone Rd, London NW1 5QE.
Telephone 020 7616 3500.
Email [EMAIL PROTECTED]