Bruce and Hugh,

I too gathered incredible motivation from John Walker and other Kiwis
distance runners of the late 70s/early 80s (Rod Dixon, Dick Quax,
etc.).  In HS, a couple of teammates and I used to wear New Zealand
shorts, the black ones as well as the flag shorts.  We thought they were
so cool, especially since they severely clashed with our green and gold
uniforms.  Numerous people would ask us if we were "Australians, New
Zealanders, or something?", our reply would be something like, "No,
but I'm John Walker!", much in the same spirit as those Nike "I'm Tiger
Woods" commercials that run nowadays.

Steve