Since this discussion will not die I will chime in.
The US presence at Chile was remarkable to Americans, given the general
understanding of our system, and how difficult the timing was.  For everyone
else it is a chance to feel hopeful.  I relate it to the hubbub that came up
after Dwain Chambers beat Maurice in England.  To the British it was a ray of
light, to someone like myself it was inconsequential.  It is all a matter of
perspective.  It has spurred talk about the US youth program, and that should
be healthy and productive, I think.
The minor issue has been ML-F.  This is my opinion alone, and I am not
arguing against anyone or lobbying to have anyone agree with me.  I think he
is soft, and it showed in his decision.  His subsequent dominance in Chile
showed me that he should have made the move to the next level.  Yes, he is
young, but I am talking attitude.  I do not see the fire in him that is
needed to make it on the international level.  I admittedly could be wrong,
and the next few years will prove one way or the other, but today I see him
as soft.  Which says that he made the right decision.  He would get mauled by
the big dogs, so maybe it is best he grows in his element.  I just hope he
does not become a victim of big fish, small pond.

William E.