On Tue, 28 Nov 2000 15:08:24 -0000, you wrote:

>So what they're saying is, of course, that to be a great runner you have to
>be black.  True!   Except don't let Sonia O'Sullivan, Paula Radcliffe, Gabby
>Szabo, Svetlana Masterkova...
>...know.

Actually, it tells me that if a Kalenjin (a tiny sub-set of "black") is
subjected to the same diet, training & coaching that O'Sullivan, Radcliffe,
Szabo and Masterkova get, it's only a matter of time...those four are gonna
get their clocks cleaned...

That it's not happening quite yet is only an indicator that great numbers
of Kalenjin are not yet getting that diet, training & coaching.
And as long as the status quo remains fairly constant, people like those
four still have realistic hopes of medalling in major competitions.

I think every "big name" elite competitor in track & field realizes in
their "heart of hearts" that there are probably individuals somewhere in
the world who could beat them if they were provided the same lifetime of
diet, coaching and training, facilities, and so forth.

RT