So much for my theory that Marion didn't win the Owens because the voting
pool was too big. It was a relatively small group that made the (bad)
decision, a person-in-the-know tells me:

<<I don't know if you are aware of it or not [i wasn't], but the Owens Award
winners  are no longer determined by a vote, but are now selected by the
USATF  Executive Committee. In the past there were six nominees (per  gender)
and voters had to put them in order 1-6 for their vote to  count. Voters
included USATF board members, committee chairs,  association presidents,
TAFWA members and various others (including  previous winners, I believe).
This year, the procedure was changed  to selection by the executive
committee.>>

gh