Perhaps, Mr Entine, "they" (runners of West African  ancestry) use drugs
too... since corruption is certainly NOT limited to any race.

Speculation without PROOF is dangerous and irresponsible Mr. Entine.

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On Behalf Of Jon Entine
Sent: Wednesday, December 20, 2000 7:39 PM
To: Conway
Cc: Track and Field List
Subject: Re: t-and-f: Borzov and misunderstanding population genetics

> Mr. Entine ..
>\
 I have not denigrated any of your
> hypotheses regarding genetics .. What I merely stated was that your
> hypothesis is narrow in scope dearly ONLY with genetics and leaving out
> other scientific areas such as sociology, economics and the like

EXCEPT Mr. Hill, if you had read my book, instead of attacking it without
having read it, you would recognize that I do NO such thing. In fact, 80
percent of my book deals with social and cultural issues.

.. (and yes

As for your request of me to provide an
> explanation regarding "And if you have a powerful explanation for why
> runners of West African  ancestry have been over-represented by population
> and usually dominated the  100 meter since the early part of the century
> (even when the number of black  participants could be counted in the
dozens
> worldwide), yet have never been  even adequate at long distances, let's
have
> it." that answer lies within the reason why any group of people dominate
any
> event - fins the javelin,

Finns don't dominate the javelin.

>North Africans the distances

North Africans don't dominate the distances..

> Americans the  sprints

"America" is not a coherent, genetically based population shaped over
thousands, or even hundreds, of years. In contrast, many sub-populations in
Africa are. As I wrote, you seem to ignore the genetics for a popular,
folkloric argument.

>And if you would like a more detailed explanation then I suggest
> you first un-sidestep the question that I asked as to why there are no
West
> Africans among the sprint leaders  now or ever

Apparently you haven't looked very closely at the list of the top 500 all
times sprinters, 494 of them who trace their primary ancestry to West
Africa. Considering the lack of opportunity, coaching, etc. in the region of
West Africa today, West African participation and success in sports that
demand quick burst energy and jumping ability, and are widely accessible
(running, basketball) is remarkable, even higher per capita than American
blacks. In football, which basically no one plays in West Africa, it's off
the charts.

>Since you seem to like to
> address only those things for which you have immediate answers and ignore
> those for which you have no answers at all .. And if you knew much about
> track at all you would realize that Borzov's still wind sea level
> performances at Munich on its relatively soft track equate quite well in
> conversion to today's times

1) Mr. Conway, what's the Borzov obsession you have. I don't even mention
him in Taboo. And as I have written many times, whether he is good or great
or whatever is totally irrelevant to the issue at hand.

>And even on face value he would have won this
> years Olympic 200 with his hands still raised in the air !!! And as for
your
> statement about one pretty good soviet sprinter I named several white
> sprinters and could name more to which you again ignored the statement and
> had no reply .. AS you made no reference at all to the plethora of female
> white sprinters that have and continue to be among the worlds best in the
> sprints .. So no not hyperventilating Mr. Entine just calling you to task
> and responding to the aura of arrogance that you routinely bring to this
> list ..

Mr. Hill... Again, such an outburst. I recommend, rather than exploding yet
again across the Internet, you might check out the three chapters in which I
discuss in some detail black and white female sprinters. On page 323
(updated in the paperback), women of West African ancestry have swept 85
percent of the 100 meters, 90 percent of the 200 meters and 65 percent of
the 400 meter all time best times over the past decade WHEN you factor out
performances by Chinese drug users and pre-fall of the Berlin Wall East
Europeans. Even without the drug filters, West African blacks have swept 81
percent of all time 100 meter races, 64 percent of 200 meters, and 22
percent of 400 meters -- that is remarkable considering competing females of
West African ancestry represent about 2-3 percent of the competing
population, virtually all from Western countries since West African women
are by and large not permitted to participate in elite sports.

--
Jon Entine
RuffRun