Netters

A few days ago someone asked (Conway?) for reports on track events.

So here is a report on the walks for the U.S. this year.

First, the majority of the walkers are back at the ARCO Center and my
friend Ray Kules is now the USATF Coach there.  Enrique Penna is
contracted through the next 4 years to coach the walker there.

Tim Seaman, the Olympic Trials winner is back in San Diego with his
new wife, he just go married here in December.  Curt Clausen,who
excited everyone with his 4th place finish at the worlds in 99 seems to
have recovered from the knee surgery that hampered his efforts in
Sydney.
As well both 50k Olympians Andrew Herman and Phillip Dunn are back
in residence.  They will be joined by Sean Albert (national 10k champion
who was dqed at the trials in front of me) and John Nunn who was 6th
at the trial at the age of 22!  As well Al Heppner, the young man who
collapsed in that horrible 50k Olympic Trials, of hypothermia, while in
3rd place is back, now part of the Army WC Program.

Kevin Eastler who was 2nd at the trials and was at ARCO as part of the
Air Force's elite program is now back on active duty somewhere in
Wyoming.  If he told me where he would have had to kill me :).  he is
however maintaining a high intensity program still and intend to
compete.

Dave Mcgovern, 8th at the trials is concentrating on training for 50k
and Jonathan Mathews, 9th at the trials maybe in semi-retirement.

For myself I started back December 3rd and am making good progress.
Not starting the year off with a back injury sure helps a great deal.  I will
 do Milrose and the las Vegas half marathon as well as the Indoor
Champs and the 50k - I'll send my schedule later.

Roumor is that everyone of these guys is going to race Milrose, Indoors
and the National 50k which means quite competitive fields.

On the women's side Michelle is of course trying to run and walk so if
anyone is going to challenge her this will be the year to do it.

Joanne Dow should be back strong again and I doubt we will hear from
Chen Yue Ling this year.  The competition may have been stiffer then she
anticipated.  Deb Lawrence and Sara Stevenson should make impacts as
well this year.

At stake this year is the World Champs Team and the Pan AM Cup
Team which is headed to  Lima, Peru.  There is also the Good Will Games.

Should be interesting.