In a message dated Sun, 7 Jan 2001  1:01:18 AM Eastern Standard Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

<<Although I'm sure many people know more about the history
of wind readings in the sprints, hurdles and jumps, there are plenty
of recorded wind readings involving world records (and presumably all
the other events in the same meet) by the late 1920s. Owens' WR of
8.13m on May 25, 1935 was reported as aided by a wind of 1.3 m/s. >>

My knowledge on the subject is woefully lacking, other than being able to
contribute that the IAAF adopted the 2.0 max at the '36 Olympic Congress in
Berlin (right before the Games) and that the 2.0 rule was enforced in the
subsequent Olympics. The rule was enforced retroactively at least to the
point where a 100 mark by Owens at the '36 NCAA was rejected as a record.

I can't swear to it, but I'm pretty sure that the AAU was rejecting American
Record status for sprint marks basedon strong tailwinds (but I don't know if
codified) prior to the IAAF action.

gh