I think you need to read the rankings and maybe you will see what all the
complaining is about. As far as Darrell commenting on something he has an
interest to is what I expect. It's the right thing to do. He has extensive
knowledge in the sprints so thats what I expect him to comment on. He does
not carry the same knowledge in the walks or distances so he does not speak
out as much. I have no vested interest in anything because I am merely a fan
but I love and follow the sprints so that is what I comment on. People who
have voiced their opinion about the rankings have done so because they are
not consistant.

>For example, I would be willing to bet (without seeing the Rankings) that
the Oly Champ in the 5000m was not ranked number 1.  That's right, he won
the Olympics, he raced several times and had an extensive season, but he is
probably not number 1.  However, in the 10k ( a similar event) the Sydney
Champ (again, I am betting) IS NUMBER 1.  Yet, he has only ONE competition
over the distance, the Games.  Still number ONE though.  In other words,
similar events, very different outcome for the Olympic Champ in the
Rankings.>

The problem with that is, in TFN they say that the OG basically count the
most than in that same issue they tell us that the rankings are not dependant
on any one meet.  You have to have consistancy. If you follow the threads
that I posted and GH responded to <as well as the ones posted by Conway and
DGS, you will see the contradictions easliy.

>Make sense?  Sure it does.  Apply the Rules of the Rankings stringently,
have the ENTIRE seasonal record of the athlete at your disposal (like the
Ranking Panelists do) and you will usually come up with a similar order to
theirs in each event.>

The problem with that statement is that all we asking for is that you apply
the rules of the rankings stringently, have the ENTIRE seasonal record of the
athlete at your disposal and make the rankings consistant! If they did what
you listed above we would not have the problems we do. If they did, Kederis
wouldn't be ranked #1 in the 200, and Mackowiak wouldn't be #10 in the 400 as
well. Not to mention my all time favorite of the Olympic trials silver
medalist Curtis Johnson getting ranked #9 in the US. oops did I forget
about....naw, I think I have "bitched" enough.

Edward Caine, Esq.
You sure you want to hang with ol Eddie Caine Jr.? - 1997