In a message dated Thu, 18 Jan 2001  1:29:42 PM Eastern Standard Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

<< I was wondering if someone could pass along to me the two fastest lead off
legs in 4x400m relay history. The first two people that came to mind were
Danny Everett and Jerome Young. I was not certain but 44.2 and 44.4 were the
times that stick in my head. I would like to know for sure. >>

Everett ran 44-flat to lead off in Seoul; that's No. 1.

Second best would be Young's 44.3 at the Goodwill Games in '98.

gh

ps--if you'd like some trivia, fastest leadoff leg in an NCAA Champs 4x4 is 45-flat by
Steve Lewis in '88.

pps--while we're talking UCLA 4x4 guys, Darrell's uncle, John Smith, is the only guy
ever to win 4 NCAA titles in the 4x4. INterestingly enough, he ran leadoff as a frosh
(46.7), second leg as a soph (45.3), third leg as a junior (44.8) and anchor as a
senior (44.7), getting faster every year. How perfect is that?!!!

gh