Y ask Y:

Kirby Lee of the Los Angeles Daily News has written one of the strangest pieces on
track I've ever seen. It's an advance story on the L.A. Invitational, but it makes a
truly bizarre claim.

Kirby writes:

LOS ANGELES - Johnny Gray announced his retirement at age 40 when he came up short in
his bid for an unprecedented fifth Olympic berth in July. However,
the American 800-meter record-holder isn't ready to put it in writing - even if the
U.S. Olympic Committee behaves as if it can't wait to get rid of him....

The USOC forced his hand -- and he wasn't ready to play it. The organization requested
that he sign a document to make his retirement official, which would've barred him
from participating in a USA Track & Field-sanctioned event for four years.

He wouldn't do it.

"That was kind of strange for me," Gray said. "I represent a country for over two
decades and I decide I want to quit. Now I have to sign a legal document? But I didn't
have to sign that legal document to start. Why should I have to sign a document to
quit?"

Another letter, to notify Gray that his partnership with the Olympic Job Opportunity
Program was being terminated, added to his discontent. He had been under the
impression he would receive support for at least a year following his retirement.

"That was another stab in the back," Gray said. "We have so many U.S. athletes who
sweat blood for their country but don't reap the benefits. It looks good because
(when) you see the Michael Johnsons and the Marion Joneses, you think that Johnny Gray
is making money out there. But the truth is, it is only a few."...

Gray, who turns 41 in June, doesn't believe he can approach his American (800) record
but is confident he can run in the 1:44 range after cracking 1:45 for 14 years, from
1984 through 1997....

Gray attributed his subpar performance last season to a coaching change when Merle
McGee, his coach since high school, retired. This season, he has reunited with McGee,
who provides workouts by telephone.

"If I can run 4:13 (mile) out of shape, I still have some talent," Gray said. "My age
might say that I am a Master, but age is nothing but a number. I am still
going because I enjoy the sport. I really don't see an end because I don't try to look
toward the end. I just look toward the present and enjoy the present."

Me again:

First off, when will reporters quit saying he retired at the Trials? He made it clear
he would compete in masters. He was merely stepping back from elite competition -- not
hanging up his spikes for good.

Second, what's up with this USOC crap? Utter nonsense! If he's a card-carrying member
of USATF, he can compete anywhere he meets the age or performance standard.

Johnnym will run the 600m at L.A. and might not be at his prime, but I don't get this
stuff about signing a document to make his "retirement official."  Somebody needs to
straighten someone out.

God forbid we should have to put retirement in writing.

Ken Stone
http://www.masterstrack.com