[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Dr. Delano Meriwether, the 1971 AAU 100-yard-dash champion (9.0w), took up
> sprinting at age 28, after his graduation from medical school. In 1970, was
> a 27-year-old resident at a Baltimore hospital, he was watching a track meet
> on TV, and said to his wife after the 100 meters, "I could beat those guys."
> He used to practice his starts in a Baltimore park at night after finishing
> his
> hospital duties.
>
> He said at the time, "I never used a starter's gun. I didn't think it would
> be a very good idea for a black guy to be running fast in the park and
> carrying
> a pistol."
>
> jim dunaway

Although the above story is widely quoted, Merryweather started competing much
earlier, as I have previously remarked.  I have a program from the 1966
All-Ohio Indoor Championships where both of us competed.  I think Del was a
medical resident at OSU at the time.

--
Wayne T. Armbrust, Ph.D.
[EMAIL PROTECTED]