Kevin Byrne suffered a bad foot injury while
warming up outside Franklin Field before the Penn
Relays his freshman year at Georgetown and was never
the same after that, although he did have a nice
college career and finally earned a gold watch at Penn
as part of the Hoyas' 4-by-8 team his senior year. He
never ran post-collegiately.

   I actually raced against Kevin in the spring of
1975 when we were both HS sophomores in Bergen County
(N.J.), he at Bergen Catholic in Oradell and me at
Teaneck. I lost. Kevin now lives in Yardley, Pa.,
about five minutes from me, has two young kids, and is
a very successful insurance executive outside
Princeton. He never misses a Millrose HS Mile.

   Last time I saw Kevin he gave me a copy of an old
Sports Illustrated from 1977 - there was a two-page
story with lots of pictures about Kevin. And in the
Faces in the Crowd section there was a blip about some
hot-shot high school basketball player in Michigan
named Earvin Johnson.

   Reuben Frank