Netters:
        I was saeened a few minutes ago to head of the death of Al McGuire, who, while best known for his basketball exploits as player, coach and commentator, had a onetime connectionm with our sport, of which more later.

        I will always remember McGuire for two incidents that occurred during Marquette's upset win over North Carolina at the NCAA chamapionships (1976, I believe).

        The firest occurred when the issue was very much in doubnt., The star of North Carolina (can't recall the name, but it wasn't you know who---he came along a few years later)--drove in for a shot and went tumbling into the stands. Marquette got the ball and was hurrying it down the coyurt for an apparent five on four possession when McGuire signalled from the bench to slow the play down.

        The NorthCarolina ace extricated himself from the fans, hurried back up the court and play continued, five on five.

        The second was at the game's end. With seconds to go and vbictory assured this tough (and he was tough) guy from Brooklyn broke down in tears, burying his head in his hands. later he said that all he could think of was "all those CYO games, all those tiny gyms back in Brooklyn." This was a man who n=[knew where he came from and loved every minute of it.

        A lighter story or two from his broadcasting days. Once, he was going a game at Georgetown (against Missouri, I think). For some reason, this Sunday TV special was being played at the Hoyas' Mc Donogh gym rather than the larger arena (pre-Landover) where it would normally have been scheduled. McGuire commented "This is like playing Georgetown in a confessional box."

        Again during the early days of the 1980 presidential campaign, he was doing a game, perhaps back at marquette, and there was a sign in the stands "McGuire for Presiodent." His rejoinder was (remember this was when Jimmy Carter was President with a brother who got a lot of ink) "I've got abrother who would make Billy Carter look lile a monk."

        Finally, the track connection. It was not well known that in his HS days, Al had been a successfull cross-country runner. He took advanatage of that to earn big bucks for a Milwaukee charity. There was a road race and McGuire got a lot of well-hipped Milwaukee business men to put up money for each second (or minute) he could run the course under a certain time. He evidently had kept in good shape, but be beat the time with plenty to spare.

        A real sportsman and he will be missed.

                                                                Ed Grant

        PS: Of course, everyone who answered my earlier trvia question---ad I am flattered at the number of responses---was absolutely correct. It could have been no one but Skeets.