Etymology please

Still doesn't answer the question

malmo

his sprinters asked why the term "heats" was used for the qualifying
rounds at a track meet. In all my years in the sport, I had never
given this a second thought.

>>        I wonder if anyone out there has an answer for this.
And perhaps some of our foreign members could contribute with
the term used in their labguage and how it translates into English.
I havew been able to research the answer through my younger son
who happens to have a set of the OED in his house, but, before
giving the answer he found for me, I would like to have your
contributions since the OED answer is not definitive.

         Ed Grant