Of course, those of us doing the running scenes with Leto were having a hard
time not tripping over him :-)  Have you ever tried to run 70 pace while
looking like your running 64 pace and suffering?

It really was amazing how good the make-up people were on this.  John Hill,
an All-American steepler from Washington State, was Leto's double for a lot
of the running scenes - everybody called him "Fake-Pre".  They would use
John to set up the shots - we extras running along with him.  Then Leto
would step in and they would shoot 'for real'.  It was weird how much he
looked like phots I had seen of Prefontaine, and yet was still recognizable
as John.

Leto was nice enough, but definitely didn't have a realistic idea of how
fast runners really were.  The story was that Hill was actually the second
choice for Leto's double.  Apparantly Jonathan Swanson originally had the
job, a Club Northwest guy with a 3:43ish 1500 speed.  Unfortunatly Swanson
was a little too competitive.  Leto had trained some for the running scenes
and was feeling pretty good about the 400m splits he was running and let
people know it.  Swanson had had enough at one point and simply buried Leto
over the next 400.  Thus, a new 'Fake-Pre' was born :-)

Disclaimer - I don't know if I have the story completely right, please check
with the next rumor-monger for a different version.

Cheers,
Buck - A.K.A. Ted Castaneda