On a much smaller scale, Texas is already this way for high school
competition. State records can only be set at the state meet. This is
specifically done so the UIL can control the conditions a record is set under
and make sure the officiating is up to par. There are marks out there that
are superior to the official state meet records, but I've never once heard
any complaint about how any of those marks are superior to an official
record.

Think of two additional benefits:
1. All world records could be adjusted down to the OG/WC best mark. This
would make the records a little softer and get rid of some of the
unattainable drug marks. Even though you would only have 1 opportunity to set
a world record each year, you'd most likely have more records set per year
than you do know, at least more than last year anyway.

2. It'd shut up all the guys who like to declare they're breaking the world
record everytime they step on the track and then gloat when they actually do
even though they failed the 25 times before when they made that claim.

--
"I have plenty of talent and vision. I just don't give a damn."