Just posing the question to those of you who are in favor of announcing
measurements in English because the American fan will not understand metric
(A position I largely agree with).

I know at least some of you don't favor allowing spectators to stand
throughout a track meet.  Won't those same American fans who stand for
entire basketball or football games get disgusted and move to other sports
when they aren't allowed to do it at track meets?

I know I sat next to a couple of different people in sacto who had not been
to a track meet before and whom I would categorize as fitting the general
stereotype of the football or basketball fan.  Both of them were yelled at
by the "standing" police for standing and cheering, and I suspect neither of
them will be back.

Maybe that's not the kind of fans we want, but can we afford to be that
choosy?

- Ed Parrot