Wasn't quite finished when I accidentally sent last message.
How 'bout some major props for Meb! Outstanding surprise victory at Oly
Trials 10,000, great 5,000 in Europe, then a solid run at the
Olympics...followed by convincing win at Vancouver.
I was down in the athletes' bullpen in Eugene in '99 after the 10,000, in
which Meb had finished fourth, less than a second behind Abdi for the final
spot on the Worlds team. Meb had come into the meet lacking a desired
"base", due to injury. Nonetheless, he had tried  a mid-race breakaway with
Abdi, but lacked the conditioning to pull it off. After the race, Meb, a
native-born Eritrean, was showing his command of the English language.
"F***! F***!" he kept saying, softly, slapping his spikes against the bench.
He didn't look angry. He was actually smiling, some.
In retrospect, he was obviously making some vows, as well. He hasn't looked
back since.
Brian McGuire