I personally think of 3,000m in 7:30 as "seven and a half laps at 60 second
pace"!

Seriously though, in terms of training for 3k/5k runners, many British and
European Coaches tend to use Horwill's five-pace theory, as used to great
effect by El G and Ngeny.

This theory is empirically based, and as it is meant to be easy to
implement, the standard sessions involve multiples of 200m or 400m (i.e. 6 x
800m or 3 x 1,600m), and it is only for faster sessions that use is made of
more metric distances such as 3 x 500m or 3 x 1000m.

Hope this helps.

Matthew Fraser Moat
Vice Chairman
British Milers Club